Monday, March 2, 2009

My Cake Adventure Part 1


Let me start by saying that I have NEVER made a cake - Well, I've made basic cakes, but never a ....


pause for dramatic results...



SPECTACULAR SHAPED BIRTHDAY CAKE!

I'm attempting to make a guitar shaped cake for my son's 16th birthday. I think I can, I think I can...you know the drill.

I've purchased the mix, stuff to make the icing ( I make a damn good buttercream icing) and all the colors and stuff needed. I've traced my son's guitar (trying to make it as lifelike as possible). All I forgot was...the cake board big enough to hold it!!!

I work at a 'sheet feeder', which is a place that makes corrugated sheets - NOT CARDBOARD, there is a difference - so I asked for some scrap sheets that were heavy and thick...also known as 500 doublewall in "the biz". I cut it down to the perfect size and covered it in aluminum foil. Since foil is only so wide, I have like 6 sheets going across the board. Did some searching and found some clear cellophane on a roll from, like, 2 holidays ago. Luckily, there was just enough on the roll to cover the entire board. I taped it around the back over the top of the foil and voila!! A homemade cake board!!! That's the crazy pic you see above. It's not a professional job, but who cares?? It will do the job just fine:)

Up next, the cake making begins...

***froggy***

No comments: